Sunday, June 17, 2007

Spectro Magic Parade











So we're in c Kingdom, catching the few rides we hadn't already done and waiting for dusk, to see the SpectroMagic parade. One of my big memories of our trip to Disney World when I was 11 was the electric parade at night. I thought it was so cool. So I definitely wanted Olivia to see this. It was about 8 p.m. - parade time is 9 p.m. and I knew we needed to start getting a seat soon. Main Street was already packed so we decided to look for a good viewing spot near Cinderella's castle. A really nice cast member let me know that if I wanted a really good seat I could sit on the concrete (you must be seated to sit that close) and they would rope it off for the parade and we would literally have front row seats as the floats passed by. Sounded good to me. Except there was no way I was going to be able to keep Olivia sitting on concrete for an hour waiting. But I figured Olivia is only going to be a 5 year old who believes in the magic one time, so I sat down and saved two seats for John and Liv while they continued to ride rides. The castle lights up in all different colors as the sun goes down, so that gave me some pretty scenery to look at. They also had hula hoops and limbo and beach balls to help the waiting kids pass the time. Finally, it was 9 p.m. They turned out all the lights in the park to add to the atmosphere and announced that night was Walt Disney's favorite time in the park. There is a little bit of extra magic after the sun goes down at Disney World. And the parade began. The floats were so close you could make eye contact with the characters. It was really fun, and I'm glad we stayed for the parade. We decided not to push and stay for the fireworks at 10 p.m. but we could see them as we waited for the bus back to the resort. The bus was so packed, and to get it on it, we were going to have ride standing up. But Olivia was an awesome trooper and rode standing up between me and John all the way back.

No comments: