Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Happy 4th of July!


The 4th of July really does make me feel like I should partake in some all-American rituals. Last year, for example, my mom, Olivia, and I went to Fieldstone Orchard and picked blackberries until our fingers bled so that my mom could make some homemade blackberry ice cream. (Well, that and we were hoping the physical activity would send me into labor.) A few years ago, we tried an all-family camping trip out at Eisenhower State Park. It ended in disaster, but a very memorable 4th. Think wind-destroyed tents and a dead deer..... Anyway, I decided I had the camping bug again this year, and Eisenhower has installed these nifty yurts. Now I had never heard of a yurt before, but apparently this is what they look like. And they do provide significantly more sleeping shelter than a tent. And they cost less. And it won't be a waste of money when if it does get blown apart by wind. So we're packing up tomorrow and heading out to the yurt. I've got the groceries purchased so we can grill up some all-beef, fat-free hot dogs. I'm really looking forward to it - hopefully it will be a nice evening. If it does rain, it's supposed to quit by evening. I'm sure I'll have lots more photos to post after we return. Hopefully we're smiling in them!

No comments: